Thursday, February 5, 2015

To most of us, writing is an expensive hobby

Google images--My caption: "Is it worth it?"
 
            Bad words, bad words, bad words! I had moved an article into what I thought was to be today's blog, but when I tried to find it, nothing. And it was perfect. I had opened a previous document showing the expenses v-i-v income from an earlier year’s writing ledger. It being tax time, I was considering filling out a Schedule C Profit and Loss form.
                I swear I typed  "Blog for February 5 2015” before the previous document heading. But I couldn’t find it anywhere. And the original has disappeared with it—logged-in numbers of books bought, books/mags read, miscellaneous (supplies, computer upgrades, etc., donations, memberships),  income, new works, submitted works, published works, travel, postage, number of critiques I’d done—a year of my life in writing.
                One poet wagged that I could write more if I didn’t keep such detailed records. Maybe so; maybe not.
                Nothing to do but go to 2014’s ledger and bring it up to date. Here are the latest year’s numbers:
                Postage - $33.13
                Miscellaneous - $1,959.66
                Books purchased - $246.31
                Critiques (2 writers’ groups plus contest entries judged) – 163
                Miles traveled – (writers’ meetings, conferences, retreats) 2,605
                New pieces written – 368
                Submissions – 181
                Published – (including 2 blogs, STANDARD, etc.) 496
                Readings – (books, magazines, NYT Book Reviews) 98
                INCOME – (book sales, prizes) $486.22 (Oh, I just got a tax form from iUniverse: I earned --but haven't seen--$16.22 in book royalties.)
                What we do because of the compelling joy of writing.
                To keep the blog unified, I went to a bookshelf, found what I wanted and sloughed off the other books atop it. Writers on Writing: A Breadloaf Anthology (1991) should have some jewels reminding me/ us of why folks insist on writing. I read all of Hilma Wolizer’s chapter titled “Twenty Questions.” Not what I wanted, though she had some quotes from other writers.
                So, I go to my second-most used compendium, Peter’s Quotations: Ideas for Our Time (1977). I can depend on Dr. Peter to have some useful and possibly humorous bites of wisdom and wit. He doesn’t disappoint.
                “Writing is the only profession where no one considers you ridiculous if you earn no money.” – Jules Renard.
                "Writing is the hardest way of earning a living, with the possible exception of wrestling alligators.” – Olin Miller.
                “The only sensible ends of literature are, first, the pleasurable toil of writing; second, the gratification of one’s family and friends; and lastly, the solid cash.” – Nathaniel Hawthorne (1804-1864). Dr. Peter’s aside: “And not necessarily in that order.”
                “The two most beautiful words in the English language are: “Check enclosed.” – Dorothy Parker.
                Be sure you have an adequate income before spending time writing. It’s a very low-paying, high-expense hobby.
c 2015 PL dba lovepat press

2 comments:

Dot said...

I like Dr. Peter's comments. Oh the pain of work lost in cyber space! Good post.

pat couch laster said...

Yes, that which is out there in the ether somewhere. I take it you didn't find your lost piece. Thanks for responding.