Thursday, February 26, 2015

OTHERS SAY.......... wisdom captured in my journal

Google Images: OTHERS SAY (!) (But isn't it a pretty picture?)
 
 
         In late January of 2011, I wrote a piece with the same title as this post. I believe I’ll use the identical idea—with different “sayings”--these four-years-and-one-month later. Thanks to James (Jim) Vandergrift for saving and sending me a CD of columns lost when my computer decided to quit.
         I’ll begin with the latest and work backwards. A friend on Facebook just posted this. She was at a Laundromat waiting for her clothes to dry. “It’s warm here until someone opens and clothes the door.”
 
        I asked her if that were a Freudian slip, and she answered, “I didn’t dry my Freudian Slip on this trip…”
 
        Then there’s the Republican senator from Cabot who made a huge grammatical slip: “… would have went.”
 
        From an obit: “…following a long health battle, Heaven welcomed one hell of a woman… (86). She did not lose her battle with illness, she simply bored (sic) of it, dismissed it and chose to reunite [with her loved ones]… [She] was as tough as nails and as soft as silk, and those who knew her best knew both sides.”
 
        From another obit: “She (94) and three others sang as the ‘Birdsong Songbirds’ on the radio during high school.”
 
        From a third obit: “[H]e was best known for his rose-colored glasses, and [he] resided in an ivory tower where all his loved ones were seen as infallible and just, misleading them into believing they were as marvelous as he thought.” (no age given)
 
       And yet another: “R. L. H. …finally retired to dinner with the Founding Fathers ….”
 
       From one of my favorite AD-G features: “This is so cynical, my eyebrows frosted.” –Carolyn Hax.
 
      One day, the lottery director told AD-G reporter S. Wire, “We are at the mercy of the jackpot gods.”
 
      “Utter evil can easily claim what genuine righteousness struggles to attain.” – John Brummett, AD-G.
 
      “She’ll catch you, catch you, catch you!” –over and over, the cardinal sang as I filled the birdbath with fresh water.
 
       “I put my heart and my soul into my work, and have lost my mind in the process.” –Vincent Van Gogh, AD-G cryptoquote.
       “We cannot rewrite history, but we can right history.” – C. Graham, one of the Friendship Nine who, in 1960, was convicted (and served a month of hard labor) for trespassing—sitting at a whites-only lunch counter in South Carolina. AD-G/ AP – M. Weiss.
 
        “Lucky bamboo: three stalks for happiness, five for wealth, seven for health, or 21 for a powerful, all-purpose blessing.” (favorable feng shui) –L. Reich, AP.
 
       Another meaning for “mother.” A reader asked Heloise why vinegar got “floaties” in it. Here is part of Heloise’s reply. “The ‘floaties’ you see are nothing more than ‘mother,’ which is not harmful at all… Mother is caused by natural bacteria that may develop after a bottle of vinegar is opened. Most vinegar we buy is pasteurized. Some other vinegars (nonpasteurized or homemade) may develop feathery, floating objects. There’s no harm in eating it, or you can strain it out and the remaining vinegar is OK to use…Add a teaspoon or so of vinegar into a large vase of flowers to help them last longer.” (AD-G).
                There.  Now you see the wisdom and thoughts of others that spoke to me as I read. May it give you pleasure, too.


3 comments:

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

Two nights ago on World News Tonight, the headline about LeBron James and his young son was "To young to recruit?" UGH, ABC. Too, to, two. This makes me crazy.

Dorothy Johnson said...

I love those excerpts. keep them coming! I may use some in the obituary you're inspiring me to write.

pat couch laster said...

Thanks, Dorothy and Talya for your comments. BTW, I messaged Mary Lester with condolences; she replied with thanks. xoxo