Thursday, February 12, 2015

The entwining of two holidays

  How to combine Valentine’s Day and Presidents’ Day? Go to my book collection of compendiums,
of course. ONE THOUSAND BEAUTIFUL THINGS, compiled by Marjorie Barrows, published 1947; a Peoples Book Club, Inc. selection, Chicago, 1948. This volume belonged to Harold & Mary Louise Scott, Conway AR, but it was in Mom’s library. Harold and Mom were siblings. How it came to be in this house is a mystery.

GEORGE WASHINGTON’S PRAYER FOR THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA:

 “Almighty God: we make our earnest prayer that Thou wilt keep the United States in Thy holy protection; that Thou wilt incline the hearts of the citizens to cultivate a spirit of subordination and obedience to government . . . . And finally that Thou wilt most graciously be pleased to dispose us all to do justice, to love mercy and to demand ourselves with that charity, humility and pacific temper of mind which were the characteristics of the Divine Author of our blessed religion, and without a humble imitation of whose example in these things we can never hope to be a happy nation. Grant our supplication, we beseech Thee, through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen.”

ABRAHAM LINCOLN:
“I remember my mother’s prayers and they have always followed me. They have clung to me all my life.”
“I have never had a policy. I have simply tried to do what seemed best each day, as each day came.”

WOODROW WILSON:
"When I look back on the processes of history, when I survey the genesis of America, I see this written over every page: that the nations are renewed from the bottom, not from the top; that the genius which springs up from the ranks of unknown men is the genius which renews the youth and energy of the people.”

 Now, to one of the great love stories of the ages, a poem (Spoon River form: spoken from the dead) by Edgar Lee Masters:
ANN RUTLEDGE:
 
Out of me unworthy and unknown
The vibrations of deathless music: 
‘With malice toward none, with charity for all.’
Out of me the forgiveness of millions toward millions, 
And the beneficent face of a nation
Shining with justice and truth. 
I am Ann Rutledge who sleeps beneath these weeds, 
Beloved in life of Abraham Lincoln,
Wedded to him, not through union, 
But through separation. 
Bloom forever, O Republic, 
From the dust of my bosom!”
 

LOVE’S PHILOSOPHY
                             – a poem by Percy Bysshe Shelley.
The Fountains mingle with the River
And the Rivers with the Ocean, 
The winds of Heaven mix for ever
With a sweet emotion; 
Nothing in the world is single; 
All things by a law divine
In one spirit meet and mingle.
Why not I with thine?–
See the mountains kiss high Heaven
And the waves clasp one another;
No sister-flower would be forgiven
If it disdained its brother,
And the sunlight clasps the earth
And the moonbeams kiss the sea: 
What are all these kissings worth
If thou kiss not me?

 Happy holidays to all of you.

 


2 comments:

Unknown said...

Great post, Pat. I had not ever seen that particular Shelley poem. Thanks!

pat couch laster said...

I hadn't heard it, either, or hadn't remembered it. Thought it perfect for Valentine's Day. Thanks for commenting.