Thursday, January 31, 2013

A siblings/spouses’ potluck lunch



by Pat Laster

 

“What is so rare as a day in J”… January when one finds oneself in the pleasant situation of preparing a “pot” for a gathering of one’s siblings for a Sunday lunch?
Let’s see, now. According to Sister Hostess, I’m to bring a vegetable. But before we break the phone connection, I blurt out (I’ve been accused of being blunt; is blurting similar?) “Oh, deviled eggs!” I knew she loved deviled eggs. “But eggs aren’t a vegetable!” I said. That was OK, she assured me.
           I boiled the eggs the night before. But what about a vegetable? I DO have a head of cabbage in the fridge. Brother-in-law loves cabbage, so I take down from the back hall shelf (that’s half-filled with cookbooks) Irma Rombauer’s The Joy of Cooking,  a wedding gift from 1960. I’ll have to be careful—b-i-l will NOT touch any food to his lips that has been cooked in wine.

            The old book’s back is loose, the pages are yellow, and now and then I see a notation of a date and occasion for a certain recipe.

             I don’t cook much now-a-days, (except this past Christmas) but as long as I breathe, children and grandchildren, do NOT snitch that book from my domicile. You may fight over it afterwards if you wish. Draw straws, perhaps. Or maybe no one will want it, preferring to zap frozen foods in the microwave, order out or eat out.

             The index of this thick book is a work of art--if details can be construed as art. Under “cabbage,” (page 957) are 27 entries. I mark the index with a paring knife lying nearby and turn to “Boiled, p. 275.

            Here is Irma  Rombauer’s helpful introduction: “Lemon juice is good added to sauces for the cabbage family. The old way of cooking cabbage is to cut it in sections and boil it for hours. The new way is to shred it finely and barely cook it, allowing only 7 to 8 minutes.”

             Decision: whether to cut in chunks (as I’d envisioned) or shred finely, which would take as long to do as it would take to boil the chunks. I opt for the chunks.

            (I look away from the computer screen to the book to see what comes next in the recipe and the accursed cursor moves to the end of the last sentence. I move it back. This happens THREE times! The next time, it moves up into the body of this piece. Grrrr! If it were a child, I’d send it to its room!)

           I drop the wedged cabbage into one-half inch of boiling water, cover the pot and cook it for 10 minutes “until tender but crisp.” Drain it, the recipe continues. Arrange the cabbage into a 9 x 13 inch baking dish. Dress it with one stick of melted butter (1 tablespoon per cup of cabbage: I eyeball it) into which I shake some croutons (instead of bread crumbs), 3 shakes of dried parsley flakes (instead of a teaspoon of chopped), the juice from an eighth of a cut lemon and several dashes (to taste) of Greek seasoning (my addition instead of salt).

            I pour the above ingredients over the cabbage, then sprinkle a package of bleu cheese crumbles (my addition, not Irma’s) over the top.

            ‘Twas a hit with those who liked cabbage. The leftovers I gave to two of them, the hostess and the brother-in-law.

             Other delicious foods included smoked pork, black-eyed peas, pasta salad, broccoli salad and homemade rolls from our mother’s recipe. This sibling also brought carrot cake and apple pie.

            Now, I ask you, which smells up a kitchen more? Cabbage cooking/cooked or a bowl of vinegar sitting out to “take up” the aroma, er odor of cabbage?

            I believe I’ll take the cabbage.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds good to me. I have that cookbook. I "cabbaged" it from items my daughter brought for our yard sale. Have no idea where she got it. I like your column.

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

I received that cookbook from a family friend on the occasion of my first wedding. It scared me to death, I knew very little about cooking...I love cabbage! I cut a head into 4-6 large wedges, drizzle olive oil, sprinkle salt and pepper, wrap each wedge in foil and roast in the oven or on the grill. Yum!

pat couch laster said...

Thanks, girls, for your comments. It's always fun to read them.

Dorothy Johnson said...

I just took my mother's copy of JOY OF COOKING off the shelf and looked inside where I found written in my Aunt Dorothy's hand, "For Winnie Latimer, From Betty & Dorothy, 1976." The cover shows she made good use of it. when i flipped through the pages, I found a note to my dad printed in pencil from my cousin's son who has Down's Syndrome. There's no date on it, so I don't know how old he was when he wrote it.

RE: Wibur Latimer (Wilbur)
You waith Jawson TV october next ween on TV you have weather cold and hot 50 mit. Wibur Latimer Plcae get us I come you house next ween.
Love
William
P.S. Merry Christmas

William must be 50 now. He lives in Springdale in a group home and visits his sister on weekends. He's always been a Sweetheart!

pat couch laster said...

What a sweet story. Thanks for sharing. loveP