Saturday, September 8, 2018

When company’s scheduled, projects get done


 The leftover cobbler that I ladled into coffee cups has been eaten.

After that Sunday potluck, the rest of the week was free of scheduled activities. Saturday, though, I would host the monthly breakfast for the remnant of 1954 Bryant High School classmates. And it took all five days to accomplish what I needed to do before then.

Three huge projects loomed; projects I’d put off and put off. No longer; they must be done.

The first one was to clean the carpet from the hallway door to Billy’s bedroom door. I guess the milk from his bowls of cereal must have sloshed out. No telling what some of the other stains were. But while he was working, I pulled out the bottle of Resolve and a brush, brought in a pillow to kneel on, and set to work. Even without testing a corner of carpet for possible color change.

Number-two project was to put the second coat of paint on the outside of the front door. I fired the painter before he could “finish some little things.” He left large cans of Kilz and Cultured Pearl (white) paint thinking he was to paint the dining room also. But no, that job falls to me now. But first, the front door needed another coat so I could replace the vintage key plate that I’d painted gold. (This was just for looks, mind you.) I did it, plus the facings on the outside. Then I stained the faded, wood threshold step.
The third biggee was to mop the dining room hardwood floor. Warm water and a sponge mop did the trick, and after it dried, I buffed it with a clean Swiffer pad.
After those tasks were done, everything else was a piece of cake: Billy offered to put leaves in the table. Then I dressed the table and designed a centerpiece. I cleaned the bathroom, swept off the front porch, baked the scones.

Now that the breakfast is history, the only downer was the 10-cup coffeemaker I’d stashed away when the Keurig came into the house. I’d tried it out the day before and it worked. That morning, it didn’t perk. Nothing doing, then, but to heat up yesterday’s coffee, and eventually turn on the Keurig.

After the “girls” left, I decided to move the still-un-perked pot to a different plug. IT WORKED!!!  Oh, well. The "girls" will have something to chuckle over next month.

Japanese Kerria in the backyard


c 2018, PL d/b/a lovepat press, Benton AR USA



               

               

2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Sometimes company is the ONLY reason projects get done here. Slinking away in shame.

pat couch laster said...

That's true here, too. But once it's done, I'm home free--until the next hosting event. xoxo