Saturday, September 15, 2018

Death has dealt us heavy blows




                JIMMY KANE – A true Christian disciple; my Sunday-School teacher ‘way back when I was a teenager; a fisherman, a husband, father, grandfather, friend. Greeting everyone with a smile, even toward the end. He is the namesake of the Kaneraiser’s Sunday School class. Until a few years ago, he was the long-time teacher of the Tom Scott Sunday School class. I sang in the choir during his service after we quickly learned the requested hymn, “The Last Mile of the Way.” Rest in peace, Jim.

                BETTY DAGUE – The sweet mother-in-law of one of the choir members died shortly thereafter, and Ann asked me to play for the memorial service. I was delighted to do so, honoring this beautiful woman with a quick smile that exuded love for those around her. I played the organ, the 60-year-old Baldwin organ, that I had played for many years as music director of the church. Besides her large family, many church members also paid her homage. Rest in peace, dear Betty.

                LOUISE WHITLEY – (Aunt Lou) A sister-in-law’s only remaining sister died earlier this month. All four of our brother’s siblings attended the service at Ashby’s. Since Louise had taught at the Deaf School, one of the Nutt brothers signed the songs and the messages. Louise was also a minister. Janice was given a Christian flag in celebration of her sister’s well-lived life. We sisters-in-law hosted a post-burial lunch for Janice and Bill’s immediate family. Rest in peace, Aunt Lou.

                REX HELMER, Jacksonville – This man, known to me because of his wife, Kathy, who, besides being a poet and writer, is a missioner for their UM Church. She has seen to it that I get invited to their team when and if there’s a vacancy—to their annual UMCOR trip to south Louisiana. On those years when I went, I spent the night before with Rex and Kathy and their late feline, Bob. Rex was a Vietnam veteran who served in the Air Force for more than 21 years. He was afflicted with Alzheimer’s at the last. Rest in peace, Rex.

                JOHN MCCAIN – Arizona’s illustrious senator, chose to stop treatment for his brain disease, and died one day later, four days before his 82nd birthday. His death hit me harder than usual, because I was reading his latest book, The Restless Wave. Without sound, except for part of the church service, I scrolled through the internet’s myriad photos to get the flavor of the other services. Each time I saw Cindy McCain cry, I teared up, too. Rest in peace, Senator McCain.

                CLIFF BAKER – Brother-in-law, theater maven, all-around sweet fellow who loved everyone he met, and made them feel better about themselves—died September 6 in a New York hospital, having never awakened from a cerebral aneurysm after a week of surgeries and other treatment. He was a light in our family’s life, especially our brother, his husband. Rest in peace, dear, dear Cliff.
P.S.
And since this piece came out, two more dear ones have died: PATSY REED and GERALD BAXLEY. Condolences and love to their families.


c 2018, PL d/b/a/ lovepat press, Benton AR USA

5 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

So many losses. And losses of people who enriched the world with their presence.
Heartfelt condolences.

pat couch laster said...

Thank you very much. I know death is always with us, but so many at once is a burden. xoxo

Dorothy Johnson said...

I’ve been thinking of your brother and you and your loss. Also, I was sad to see John McCain pass on.

pat couch laster said...

I think after Cliff's death, John McCain's was the hardest to bear. He was a "steadier" in the Senate, and a sensible man. Thanks for the comments. xoxo

yaklibber924 said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.