Saturday, July 22, 2017

Some of my “Summer’s favorite things”






    Photo by Thurman Couch            

               Earlier this month, writer friend and mega blogger, Talya Boerner, posted a list––with photos--of her favorite summer things and asked her readership to do the same. One of my favorite things, during summer or any time, is getting ideas for this weekly column-cum-post. So, Talya, and readers, here goes:

One of my favorite things during the summer is watching birds cavort in the birdbath––like a robin did today. It dipped and shook, pecked under its arms, uh, wing feathers, repeated the ritual, shook its wings at least a dozen times, whetted its beak and continued the grooming. It seemed almost physical—like a mom might scrub her dirty son harder than seemed necessary. Almost like the bird hadn’t had a bath in too long a time. Facing away from me, it shook its shoulders over and over, reminding me of a man trying on a new jacket and shaking to get it to fit right. Then, it sidled right foot, left foot, right foot, left foot a quarter of the way around the rim. Perhaps it was practicing for the next bird schottische event.

I also delight in digging shallow-rooted grass/ weeds from the side yard I’m calling the “patio,” an area I covered with white marble rocks. Then, sitting in said “patio” among lilies, bougainvillea, mums, oxalis, and Mom’s begonia—in the shady parts of the day and cool of the evening, with my journal and the day’s papers.

Another summer (or anytime) pleasure is receiving notes, sentences, replies of endearment/ encouragement from various folks I correspond with. At my age, any hint of a compliment always brightens my outlook. When I asked a friend if I could quote him in a larger piece I was writing, he said in reply, “Quote away, darling girl.”  Now, the word “darling” gets me every time. I smiled, remembering the visit we had at Dairy Hollow a while back.

Another “upper” came when an editor in Maryland confirmed my submission of poems, “Dear Pat: your work always a sheer delight, thanks a lot.” He probably says that to all the submitters, but, still . . . . Yet a third example: from a long-time poet, editor, and friend, this reply to an email I’d send him earlier: “Ah, Pat!  How delectable to hear from you.” 

Then, there are always encouraging words from my next-oldest California brother whenever I send out these weekly pieces. “You have a very active brain, gifted of course, but infused with a range of desire for all things curious… Keep it going!”

And from a newer but beloved friend on the same piece, “I loved this. It’s as if you were writing through my own heart. I am a lover of knowledge of all kinds, lighting first on one topic and then on another. Space always calls me back. My high school years were so tangled with the space program and the lives of the astronauts and their families. Thanks for this column. I saved it on my hard drive to look at again and again.”

And from a church member, “Pat, we all just love you so much! You add so much everywhere you go. Hope you have had one of your happiest birthdays ever! Love J & M”

Comments and validations like this keep me revved up and happy. Thanks to all who act as encouragers. You are my “summer favorite folks.”

And thanks, Talya, for the inspiration.

Talya's on the left in this group of residents at Dairy Hollow several years back.



4 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Encouragement like that is welcome any season. Every season. Long may it continue.

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

Thank you, Pat. You, I dare say, inspire everyone with your way of looking at life and describing it through the freshest of lenses. xo

Anonymous said...

You must also enjoy gazing at the fruit of your labor, your beautiful garden.

pat couch laster said...

Thanks, ladies, for your comments. Always appreciated. Love to all of you. PL