Thursday, July 27, 2017

Poem: A Fish Assignment Run Amok





Thirsty in summertime,
I reach, finger a delicate piece
for morning's coffee.

A wee silverfish
hides in a china cup
in the cupboard's dark.

Oh, blech! I exclaim
and drown the interloper
under the tap,

wash and dry the frilly cup                                       
fill it with black liquid.
Later, at Goodwill,

I spy a sparkly circle--
stones the shape of silverfish--
amethysts and opals,

emeralds and rubies                                     
encased like stained glass
in metal. No errant

piece to escape
and nest in my china cup
like a silverfish.

c 2017 PL dba lovepat press



4 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

That sparkly circle would be mourned if it were drowned...

Anonymous said...

I Love This! From Blech to Beauty.

pat couch laster said...

Thanks for you observations, friends Sue and Dot. I meant to, thought I was posting this in the poetry blog, pittypatter.blogspot.com. Wondered why, it checking blog stats, the prose blog (this one) had so many "views" and the poetry blog so few. Now I see what happened. Anyway, nothing's lost, just changed. xoxo

Dorothy Johnson said...

What a great little poem and pictures! Loved it.