Thursday, January 8, 2015

Best and Worst of 2014 - Part One




 
       “Best” and “Worst” aren’t exactly the best words but until I need different ones, I’ll stick to those. Facebook’s algorithms have put together a year’s perspective for each of its millions of members. Not the most esoteric piece of work, but for some, they’re good enough to share with friends.
       Perhaps my overview of 2014 will clarify the question, “What did you accomplish this year, huh?” But first, I’ll have to locate my journals. Wouldn’t it be nice to snap one’s fingers, say “January journal, come here!”
       Maybe I should begin with my store of 1300 emails. After all, they are right here in the computer.

BEST JANUARY SURPRISE:

The address on the envelope was shaky---no return address. The only one I knew who wrote like was Mom, and she’d died in 2006 at age 93. I ripped it open, found a spring-like card with this pen-written message:

Jan 2014

OF LIDDY [“A Journey of Choice,” my first novel]

“Most enjoyable reading--Especially liked references I could relate: Aunt Med, the sassafras grove and day lilies (in your yard), snuff, Grandmother, old 'talk'--
        Learned a new word: soughing--had to use the dictionary at least three times. You're amazing I don't know how you do it (write)--
        Leaves me with a sense of pride and admiration.”
[signed] Bill - your brother

WORST JANUARY NEWS

Billy Joe, grandson/ward, driving home from north Florida, hit a slick spot, hydroplaned and spun into a guardrail, totaling his Honda Civic. Neither he nor his friend were hurt physically, and with the help of Billy’s uncle, Friend’s father and other friends from HSU, they were able to get back home. Scary. I heard him say just last week that he’d never again drive to Orlando (Harry Potter World). Whew! I thought, but his next sentence was: “I’ll fly.”

FIRST TIME-LAST TIME- FEBRUARY:

Car trip from here to Panama City Beach, FL, with Linda H. to join two other sisters, each with another person along. Too long a drive (two hours past where Son #1 lives). Never again.

NEITHER FIRST NOR LAST TIME -- APRIL:

I spent two weeks as a resident at the Writer’s Colony at Dairy Hollow in Eureka Springs. Three of those days, I drove over to the annual Lucidity Poetry Retreat.

FIRST AND ONLY TIME -- MAY:

The electric company guys stopped by to inform me that two of the three ancient red oaks needed to be cut, that the company would do that job free, but I’d be responsible for everything else. They cut, leaving a gap of sky light unseen by any living person. Son #2 Eric and his/ our friend Jim hauled several loads off to Hot Springs and Springhill. Dennis and his neighbor Jerry hauled off several more loads--also to Springhill. Remaining was an enormous brush pile set to dry and be burned later.

FIRST AND ONLY TIME – JUNE

Carpets in three bedrooms and the hall were pulled up and replaced. Robert and Clayton (from Hot Springs, but working for Mullins) did a superb job. Now the celery carpets match the celery paneling Dad put up many years ago.

To be continued. I’m too wordy/ talky to get an entire year’s important events into a sensible-sized post.

2 comments:

Dot said...

Good post. I had forgotten some of your events. Waiting for issue #2.

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

Oh my goodness your Best January Surprise made me teary. So special.