Thursday, December 25, 2014

12 trips to the attic -- with apologies

 
           On the first trip to the attic, I turned the light switch on, and came back to Christmas downstairs.
On the second trip to the attic, I searched and searched and found two green wreaths, and the light switch to guide me back down.
On the third trip to the attic, to find our mother’s box: three pillows, stuffed; two green wreaths, and the light to guide me back down.
On the fourth trip to the attic, to see what else was there:four strings of lights, three pillows-stuffed—two green wreaths,and the light that guided me down.
On the fifth trip to the attic, my legs were getting tired. Five…. Yuletide rugs…, four strings of lights, three pillows (stuffed),two green wreaths, and the light that guided me down.
On the sixth trip to the attic, I spied a Walmart bag: six new ornaments, five Yuletide rugs, four strings of lights, three pillows[stuffed], two green wreaths, and the light that guided me down.
On the seventh trip to the attic, I had to stop and sit. Seven breaths while resting, six new ornaments, five…Yuletide rugs…., four strings of lights,three pillows {stuffed}, two green wreaths, and the light that enlightened the stairs.
On the eighth trip to the attic, I found another sack: eight strands of tinsel, seven breaths while resting, six new ornaments, five… Yuletide rugs…. four strings of lights, three pillows –stuffed—two green wreaths, and the light that ‘lumined my way.
On the ninth trip to the attic, I moved some things around: nine music boxes, eight strands of tinsel, seven breaths while resting, six new ornaments, five…..Yuletide rugs…… four strings of lights, three pillows [full], two green wreaths, and the blessed light that kept me on track.
On the tenth trip to the attic, I looked around the room: ten-year-old tree, nine music boxes, eight strands  of tinsel, seven breaths while resting, six new ornaments, five….. Yuletide rugs…….. four strings of lights, three pillows, stuffed; two green wreaths, and the light that made the trips work.
On the 11th trip to the attic, my legs were crying out. 11 steps a-waiting, 10-year-old tree, nine music boxes, eight strands of tinsel, seven breaths while resting, six new ornaments, five…. Yuletide rugs……. four strings of lights, three pillows {stuffed}, two green wreaths, and the light shining down from above.
[Huff, puff, huff, puff, take a drink of water, start again.]
On the 12th trip to the attic, THIS WAS THE FINAL ONE! 12 Christmas tapes [“[Hall-e-lu-jah!”], 11 steps a-waiting [huff, puff], 10-year-old tree [where’s the Goodwill bag?] 9 music boxes [play them all at once!], 8 strands of tinsel, 7 deep breaths, 6 new ornaments, 5…. Yuletide rugs……. 4 strings of lights, 3 down-filled squares, 2 green wreaths……….AND THE LIGHT JESUS GIVES TO US ALL.
May your Christmas day be full of blessings.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Nice. I still wish you had sung this at our meeting in the library for CAW!

Dorothy Johnson said...

Clever with a nice final thought!