Sunday, April 28, 2013

Going on a mission trip –to Louisiana


 
 Written for dissemination April 25, 2013

          When this post hits the ether, I’ll be finishing up a week in south Louisiana (Baldwin) at the United Methodist Church Overseas Relief (UMCOR) warehouse. While there, the Jacksonville UMC “missioners” (who let me go with them), along with others from Hot Springs Village (AR) and Portland (OR), helped fill school bags, health kits and layette kits for use wherever disasters hit.
         Meanwhile I’ll continue an abbreviated run-down of this week’s April days that someone or some group has designated as “special.”
          25th – National Zucchini Bread Day, *East meets West Day, *World Penguin Day.
          26th -- Hug an Australian Day, *National Pretzel Day, *Richter Scale Day,  * Take Your Daughter to Work Day.
          27th Babe Ruth Day, *National Prime Rib Day, *Tell a Story Day.
          28th Great Poetry Reading Day, *Kiss Your Mate Day.
          29th Greenery Day, *National Shrimp Scampi Day.
          30th Hairstyle Appreciation Day, *National Honesty Day.

[I wrote this before I went to Louisiana, and based my information on things we did several Septembers ago when my own church group spent a week “down there,” plus information found on the web site.]
           Besides the emphasis on overseas and domestic relief—already UMCOR has responded to the West, Texas explosion--some volunteers go into the surrounding area for projects or help needed there. Schools, day-cares and parks welcome participants to supplement the workers already in the field.
          Since I worked in my own yard last week, I could be available for park plantings and cleanup of winter detritus. No schoolrooms for me, please.
          The following information is from the UMCOR website and might be interesting to both United Methodists and those of other denominations (who likely have their own relief agencies).
 
          “UMCOR provides humanitarian relief in the United States and internationally. Our efforts are targeted in places where natural disasters, war, or conflict have done so much damage that communities are unable to recover on their own. While UMCOR is not a first-response organization, we stand ready to accompany communities in need over the long haul of their recovery, until they are well on their way to establishing a “new normal” after a crisis.”

[Pat here: UMCOR has to be contacted for assistance; it doesn’t just go into areas helter-skelter.]

“In addition, UMCOR helps communities in the United States and abroad prepare for emergencies and to reduce the risk of disasters through a roster of training programs.

“We also are involved in global development work. Specific programs address issues of health, sanitation, poverty, sustainable agriculture, nutrition, and food security. Many development problems are interrelated, so UMCOR uses integrated solutions to address their root causes. UMCOR seeks to empower local hospitals, schools, churches, and other stakeholders by enhancing their capacity to address these issues.”

Next post, I’ll share my experiences. Meanwhile, enjoy the remainder of April. #

3 comments:

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

I suppose I should make shrimp scampi for dinner...

pat couch laster said...

I suppose so. I chickeded out and ordered grilled catfish: mostly breading, which cancelled out the taste of the fish. I'm not very much of a risk-taker. Tho' I did order a local pale ale. Have a pic on my dumb phone to prove it.

Dorothy Johnson said...

I've thought a lot about how West, Tx, didn't get the kind of press it would have normally because of the bombings at Boston. I'm glad the Methodist are going to their aid!