Thursday, November 24, 2011

Another November winding down

by Pat Laster

As of November 1, I am no longer employed at any church. As of November 1, I have been away or have chosen not to attend services. Though I haven’t yet written about the new-found freedom from the organ, I did write something that reflected the same situation during the early 1990s. It still fits, except I don’t live close to a park now. Oh, yes, and I don’t power walk any longer.
Here’s the poem called Early Church.
“The park becomes my church this Sabbath day;/ no cloistered walls to keep the sun at bay./ Three robins practice trills to vocalize/ while gurgling brook accompanies with grace./ The grackles try their best to harmonize,/ and peckerwoods show skill with figured bass./ No cloistered walls to keep the sun at bay,/ the park becomes my church this Sabbath day.”
However, I still volunteer as director of the Wednesday Morning Bell Choir. I tried to resign, but if I want to keep my friends’ good will, charity and amity, I will continue leading the group of eight who are dedicated beyond belief—some say they live for Wednesday morning—and who try harder than any child or youth to play their parts well.
Last week, the pastor came by to pray over the group, and he and I exchanged the greatest hug that any two non-blood-or-marriage-related people could. Of course, he’s the same age as my youngest child, so there’s nothing suspect there. “I miss you,” he said. “You’ve got to come back.” I answered, pitifully (I hope), “Please give me a break. Just a little while longer.”
Of course, I’m pleased at his plea. But now that a new choir director and a new organist are in place, they can lead worship and I can take a short vacation.
Thanksgiving looms. As usual, since I don’t have a signature dish (except for the relish tray), I will concoct a dish in honor of our vegetarian who is coming from Portland OR for the holiday.
I found this recipe in the Northwest AR Democrat-Gazette while in Eureka Springs. Stephanie W. Sedgwick of The Washington Post is the source. The title is Warm Lentil and Sweet Potato Salad.
I have arranged the ingredients and the directions together. “Prick one pound of sweet potatoes several time with a skewer or fork, then bake at 375 degrees until soft—45 to 90 minutes. (I will likely microwave the two I purchased--without weighing.) Let cool 25 minutes.
“Meanwhile, place one cup lentils, rinsed and picked clean of any foreign matter, in a 3-to-4-quart pot, adding enough water to cover by one to two inches. Place the pot over medium heat, cover with the lid ajar. When the water begins to boil, adjust the heat so the water stays at a low boil. Cook 25 minutes, until the lentils are tender but not falling apart. Drain.
“Whisk together one-and-one-half tablespoons apple cider vinegar, the same amount of maple syrup, 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard, one-fourth teaspoon nutmeg (she says freshly grated, but I will use ground), 2 tablespoons finely chopped chives and salt to taste in a large bowl.
“Slowly add 3 tablespoons olive oil, whisking to incorporate. Add the lentils to the dressing.
“Carefully pull away sweet potato skin. Cut into one-half inch chunks; transfer to the bowl with the lentils. Gently toss to coat evenly with the dressing. Serve warm or at room temperature. Makes 6 servings.”
There will be more than six at our table, but there will be scads of food. I doubt many of the younger folks will even taste the dish, but that’s OK.
I hope you have enjoyed a blessed Thanksgiving.

c 2011 Pat Laster dba lovepat press

No comments: