Friday, January 10, 2020

Cajun potato salad for a Louisiana-type meal

Sis Carolyn and Pat in Cajun country, but no photo of potato salad


                Recently I was part of a group invited to a potluck luncheon in which the host announced the main dishes would be gumbo and po’boys. When the hostess mentioned other possibilities for us to bring, the first thing she said was “potato salad.” I immediately volunteered. Not because I knew that potato salad along with rice, was sometimes dropped into the gumbo. No, I call myself a good potato salad maker, and I love to eat it.
                I’d eaten gumbo twice in my life—once in Louisiana and once when friends brought over a meal. On the appointed day, the group found—by scent–– the sausage and chicken in a roux with rice and the potato salad next to the gumbo.
                By the end of the meal, only a cup or so of potato salad remained. I asked the hostess, a Louisiana “girl,” if she would take it. She readily agreed. “I love it,” she said. Only one other woman commented that she liked it. Men don’t think to say such, do they?
                Here’s how I made it: Since it was a Cajun-type meal, I Googled (Bing-ed on my computer) “Cajun Potato Salad” and copied off the recipe that I thought I could manage. It is by HeatherFeather at www.food.com/recipe/cajun’style’potato-salad-202238. But, as usual, I adapted it to what I had on hand.
                “8 small potatoes, peeled and cut into fourths, boiled and still warm.” My adaptation: I prepared two packages of instant, Idahoan-brand mashed potatoes. I’ve discovered these are as good as Schwan’s, which, until I “divorced” them, were a freezer staple.
                “6 large hard-boiled eggs, still warm.” Why still warm, I wondered, since the event was the next day and not the next hour. My adaptation: I already had four boiled eggs; I boiled four more.
                “3 large dill pickles, chopped.” I’d bought a quart of kosher whole dills for a Thanksgiving relish tray, but I didn’t need them. Perfect! These were not large; I had no way of telling how many would equal three large ones, so I estimated.
                “3 tablespoons yellow mustard (or more).” I measured the amount called for, but with only a little bit left, I emptied the container.
                “1/4 cup canola oil.” I used what I had on hand.
                “1/4 to ½ cup mayonnaise (or more).” I didn’t measure; I rarely measure.
                “salt to taste; pepper to taste.” No need for this; potatoes are seasoned already.
                Here’s where the Cajun part came in: After peeling the eggs, cut in half, take out the yolks, chop the whites up and add with the pickles, to the potatoes. Done. “Mash the egg yolks, add oil, mustard and mayo and mix till smooth. Pour this mixture over the potato mixture and toss to coat. Chill well before serving.” Done. I refrigerated it in the mixing bowl covered with a plate until time to leave. Then I would transfer it to a large Fostoria crystal bowl.
                I’ll probably use this recipe-with-adaptations if and when I make potato salad again. 

Part of an earlier Jacksonville mission team at UMCOR in Cajun country checking school bags


c 2020, PL dba lovepat press, Benton AR USA


1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

It does sound good - and quite different to the potato and egg salad I made over Christmas.
Compliments to the chef - and I too adapt as I go along.