Tuesday, October 16, 2018

Oh, what a week it was!











        I’ll have to admit, much of the week was spent online with the national furor over the happenings around the president’s Supreme Court nominee. I considered the social media “likes,” the “loves,” and the comments I made to various posts as one of my ways of reacting as an interested and involved citizen. So, there’s that; I didn’t keep a log of how much time I spent thereon. (I don’t have a TV, so news and commentary online and the state and local papers are my news sources.)

                The 5th -Sunday-in-September luncheon for members and guests of Ebenezer UMC in Tull, saw us trek (after church) to Highway 5 in Saline County for a great meal at U. S. Pizza. While waiting for our orders to arrive, Becky chaired a game. On a post-it-note-sized sheet, we were to answer six questions: 1. Where we attended school; 2. Our favorite teacher; 3. Our first car; 4. A hobby; 5. A favorite hymn; 6. Number of children and grandchildren.

                Then she retrieved the papers, shuffled them, and gave each of us one of the sheets. We were to try to guess which person we were reading about. Most folks knew right away who the writer was. If not right away, then when children and grandchildren were numbered. The cutest mini-bio—from a guest—mentioned Hot Wheels as his first car; playing soccer as his hobby, and “This Little Light of Mine” was his favorite hymn. It was the delightful grandson of one of the church elders.
                Just for fun and information, here are the other “favorite hymns.” Amazing Grace (3), I’ll Fly Away (3), Hymn of Promise, Trust and Obey, Blessed Assurance, How Great Thou Art (4), Great is Thy Faithfulness, Grace Alone, What a Friend we Have in Jesus, In the Garden, It is well with my Soul, “#153 (In the Cokesbury Hymnal, it’s Love, Mercy and Grace), A Walk in the Garden, Jericho Road, and, of course, This Little Light of Mine.
          If word gets out that I have a wheelchair ramp newly built down my front steps, it does not mean that I’m the one it was built for. I will need it for hosting the December-5th-Sunday-luncheon of church folks. 
          Why now, you might wonder? Because my retired son Eric who lives in Hot Springs and  offered to do some “honey-do’s” for me, is a hunter, and, with only a few days free between now and then, he had to “get on it” while he could. It’s a doozy! 
         And, who knows when I might need it myself. Or someone else I know.

Centerpiece for National Poetry Day October 13, 2018

c 2018, PL d/b/a lovepat press, Benton AR USA



                               


2 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

LOVE that centrepiece. And it never hurts to be prepaired.

Anonymous said...

This game (and church lunch together) sounds like so much fun! And the ramp may be easier to negotiate than the stone steps... for your (ahem) elderly BFF.