Friday, August 18, 2017

Alternately whining and gloating- a ceiling re-do


          Ordinarily I consider myself a non-whiner, but the first week in August was an exception. When the ceiling replacement crew didn’t show one afternoon as promised, uh, scheduled, I waited. Waited. Yawned. Drank more coffee because I couldn’t take my usual afternoon nap.

          He’d accidentally broken a window, which I had warned the supervisor about, since the ancient glass was thin and had lost a lot of caulk in the frames. When quitting-time came the day before, I whined inwardly about not getting a nap, drank more coffee, tried to perk up and work at something until ten o’clock. I’d texted the supervisor, who hadn’t heard about the window and didn’t know why the crew didn’t show. 

              The first night without anything in the window but the screen, I jury-rigged a temporary cover of Schwan’s bags and duct tape.
The next morning, as the foreman guided their pickup-hauled, long equipment trailer into the front yard, and the four-person crew bailed out of the cab, I tore off the makeshift cover, wadded it and assigned it to the trash bin. Who knew I could have used it one more night?

                When I (pleasantly) inquired about why they didn’t show up as planned, the foreman told me about another crew at another place where one of the workers quit and left a huge mess that had to be cleaned up, pronto. He had forgotten about the absent glass until I reminded him. They attached the sheetrock—after having to go to Home Depot for “required” insulation, taped and mudded (I had to look up “mudded”) the joints and left it to dry.

                My empty window frame jury-rigging for Wednesday night was a lot simpler: push-pinning a beach towel into the upper frame.

Thursday morning, the third day, they came back carrying the glass, which they seated in place from the outside (sorry, irises, that you got tromped on by the young man) and caulked into the frame, which was how it was originally installed. Dried out lath mortar wasn’t the only thing that had deteriorated over the span of 84 years; so had the window caulking. No wonder the glass rattled in the wind.

On Friday, after telling me he’d be here at 8, they arrived at 9:30. I’d been working in the early-morning, shaded iris-and-yucca bed, and was just before texting the project manager, when the red pickup hauling the long trailer drove up. Again, I teased him, “I thought you told me you’d be here at 8!” And he mumbled something about it being when they told him to begin work.

But, at 1:30, after four days, they called it done, replaced the ceiling fan/light fixture, moved the 4 large pieces of furniture back in place and left. Instead of calling “Gracias,” I hollered “Thank you!” Antonio, Gesus and Luiz waved as they piled into the truck with Alfonzo driving.

What an experience! Now to get the windows washed, the book-and-glass shelves dusted and put back. . . I can’t even think about going through all the books and papers.

How about a nap, first.



3 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

A nap sounds good.
And the issues you had with the workmen sounds very, very familiar. These days ours tend to say they will arrive between 9 and 1. And they might squeeze into that time zone. Sigh.

Dorothy Johnson said...

Your experience with their schedule is common and they seldom explain, much less apologize. However, the ceiling looks nice? so I'm sure the inconvenience was worth it.

Anonymous said...

I know you're glad it's over. And the experience provided an interesting blog entry.