Tuesday, November 29, 2016

IT'S ADVENT ALREADY!



WHAT WAS MARY TO THINK? WHAT WOULD YOU THINK
“If I had been the Virgin Mary I would have said ‘No.’” – Margaret “Stevie” Smith (1902-1971)
 
No!
Get out of my dreams!
I am betrothed
but he has not forced
himself on me nor asked
me to lie with him.

What would he think
if I told him an angel
came in a dream
and asked me to make
a baby without him?

Oh, no. My parents would send
me away and the neighbors
might flog me. Oh, no, I don’t
even know how this “holy spirit”
 thing would get inside me.

Besides, I’m a sinner; I think
unholy things and sometimes
act on them. I wish, oh how I wish
I knew why
this angel chose me.

I dare not tell Mother.
I’ll visit Aunt Elizabeth
and see what she makes of it:
What does” highly favored” mean?
“Oh, child, if you have the same dream
tonight, be sure and respond willingly.
God has something good in mind.”

So I screwed up my courage
and prayed to Jehovah for guidance.
Sure enough, the angel came back.
“For you are highly favored by God
and you are on earth most blest.
 “Fear not, for God is with you
And you shall bear a child.
His name shall be called Jesus,
God’s offspring from on high.
And he shall reign forever.”

But I'm not yet a wife!
The angel had an answer:
“The power of the Most High
will come upon you soon.
Your child will be God’s child.”

Again, I wondered at his words,
remembered Aunt Elizabeth’s
advice and answered.
I am your lowly handmaid.
So be it, I am ready,
according to your word.
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
 [--Parts of this poem are adapted from Gracia Grindal’s hymn “To A Maid Engaged to Joseph"]
c 2016 PL




1 comment:

Elephant's Child said...

SUCH a hard call. For Mary, and for Joseph. Many would have turned away...