Wednesday, July 13, 2016

An early-July day in my part of the planet




On the east-facing porch at 7:30 a.m. it's 78 degrees, but forecast to climb into the 90s before the day's over. I've been up since 6:30 this Sunday morning.

Noisy crows--
are they agitated
that their habitat's gone,
replaced by roads
and houses-under-construction?
Me, too.

While I read in the state paper about ISIS versus religious freedom, and the Clinton-Lynch meeting, I stop and realize that my part of the world is quiet. The only sounds are crows to the north, dogs to the south, trains beyond Benton, and the ubiquitous traffic--perhaps headed to early church.

The old cat lies on a porch rug looking over his domain--which is Couchwood's acre. Above him, the flag waves back and forth in the breeze. I sit nearby on the 2nd-or-3rd-or-4th porch swing on this 84-year-old house. The windchime, another peaceful sound, adds to the serenity.

Too early, at 8:00, to prep for a 10:30 choir- call time, I--in gown and duster--sit out while it's still cool.
Oh, I could be pulling grass from the zinnias, but don't want to get dirt under my fingernails (which I filed last night waiting for the computer to boot up [it never did, alas]). Pulling grass, grooming other spots in the yard will have to wait till later tonight around dusk.

I saw on Facebook a "memory of 1-year-ago" which showed my sidewalk project only half finished. Did it really take over a year to complete? (Does Facebook ever lie?)

The sun now shines on the swing, and I move to mid-porch in the shade of a column holding the roof. But before I settle in, I take and post a photo of new coneflower blooms.

Another note of news: In predominately-Buddhist Burma, extremists are persecuting Muslim Rohingyas, a minority.
By nine, the temp has risen, even in the shade, so I head inside. The crows are still noisy. In the yard, tall, yellow blooms of lance-leaf coreopis wave in the breeze, despite repeated mowings of the culprit. "Ha-ha-ha," they seem to say. "You can mow and dig all day, but WE are here to stay!" Okay for now, I say back to them. But just you wait. By Saturday, you'd better be gone or hidden.

After church, a lunch of chicken salad, Cheetos (for "bread," don't you know) and lemonade, then a nap, I return to the Sunday papers.

By 11 p.m. after buying a PDF Suite for the Vista computer so I can access the book-in-progress manuscript, I work on the BIG PUZZLE until midnight. Only three words left to fill in.

And so ends a day in the life of a person who turns 80 years old on Saturday.

[Written July 3 2016 ]


The Couch siblings sans Thurman, July 5 2015

7 comments:

Elephant's Child said...

Happy belated birthday.
I loved the very vivid picture of your garden you painted. You can keep the heat though. I am loving our winter.

Dot said...

Peaceful Sunday morning ... before the race begins ... sounds lovely.

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

Sounds so peaceful. Love your writing.

Jane Gatewood said...

Such is the life of a beautiful lady whose life and writings touch so many.

pat couch laster said...

Thanks to Elephant's Child, Dot, Talya and Jane for commenting. You are all sooooooooo special to me. xoxo

Jan Hamlett said...

Lovely and peaceful. Needed a dose of that this evening. Thanks, friend!

Jan Hamlett said...

Lovely and peaceful. Needed a dose of that this evening. Thanks, friend!