Thursday, June 23, 2016

How does your garden grow, alphabet-wise?

Quince (Japonica)


 How about an alphabet of plants blooming in my yard? To fill in further, I'll list plants that have already bloomed or are non-blooming. Then I’ll leave spaces where . . . well, you’ll see.

A = althea, abelia; B = (several types of) begonias; C = canna; D = dianthus; E = echinacea (coneflower); F = freesia; G = gardenia; H = hosta; I = (English) ivy; J = (flowering) jew; K = Kerria; L = lilies: (day, Easter), lantana; M = mullein pinks (aka lamb’s ear), mandevilla, mums; N = (would nut grass count?); O = oxalis; P = (none) --oh, the pear tree; Q = quince (japonica); R = (Knockout) roses; S = (none)--uh, sassafras; T = (none); U = (none); V = verbena; W = wisteria; X (none); Y = yarrow; Z = zinnia.
Kerria


Zero help online to find plants of the missing letters: K, P, S, T, U, X, so I went to the Webster's New World Portable Large Print Dictionary (a gift of my BFF) to see if I could find something I needed or wanted to plant to flesh out both the garden and the alphabet.

K shows kale (ugh), kidney beans (I have no vegetable garden), kohlrabi cabbage (ditto), kudzu (aarrgghh, no!Carolina moon vine is bad enough!), kumquat (er, no fruit trees but the pear. . . aha! there's the P: pear blossoms, and soon, fruit.)

S shows safflower, sage, salvia, sassafras (ah! I have lots of sassafras!Add sassafras to list). Now to T: tamarind? taro?--no, tropical plants that wouldn't grow here; tangerines? See last comment; tansy--what I called yarrow for the longest time; turnip--aha! one plant's growing from who-knows-how in front of the shed porch. Dare I dig it up to add to the ones friend Lydia brought me? [I did, and there was nothing but root. No "fruit."]

U: underbrush? There's plenty of that in the south yard; X sent me to Kid Billy's high school graduation gift, The American Heritage College Dictionary. Zilch. I mean, nothing. Perhaps a reader can give me a plant name beginning with X. I'll dance at your (next) wedding if you do. Until then . .

How does YOUR garden grow, alphabet-wise?

 

Lantana and zinnias


2 comments:

Dorothy Johnson said...

I had to smile at the way you think, so organized yet creative. There are a bunch of those I do not have in my yard.

Elephant's Child said...

You have me thinking. Winter is here, so not a lot in bloom. But there will be. And probably an alphabet full. Probably.