Monday, December 14, 2015

Another countdown to Christmas





            We have a few days left to do whatever it is we intend to do before the big day, or eve--clean and decorate the house, bake or mix the half-dozen recipes we’ve collected and have the ingredients for, put up the tree and the outside lights, decide on gifts, wrap them, send cards--with notes in most. There’s still enough holiday joy left to make plans for out-of-town-or-state kinfolk coming for a visit––or maybe for a week.

My Florida son and family came for a week at Thanksgiving because they can’t come for Christmas. Granddaughter Breezy graduated with a Master’s degree in accounting in Tampa on December 12, followed by a week’s cruise with friends.
                Besides weekly bell rehearsals, my first major event of the season was hosting BFF Dot-from-Beebe for a Saturday together before our schedules got too hectic. She still has a five-day-a-week job as secretary at the Wilbur Mills Educational Co-op. Her children come after Christmas due to their church and church-music duties.
We decided to meet the first Saturday of December, and since I’d driven to Beebe earlier in the year, she agreed to drive to Benton for “the day.” We visited for two hours before lunch and two hours afterwards. Subjects? Writings, readings, families, church, writing—she’s working on her fifth book and fourth novel. I’m working on a collection of “short stories and long poems” since my second novel has been published.
                I actually prepared a heavy noon meal, compared to my usual sandwiches and potato salad.  Baked chicken breasts, au gratin potatoes—a new endeavor––steamed broccoli, cornbread muffins and biscuits comprised the meal. Stewed pears topped with a spoonful of frozen yogurt ended it.
                Activities on my calendar this month are fewer than in other years. And I’m glad. This week, I'll meet two men friends who were students of mine 50 years ago at I-Hop for breakfast. Wednesday, I’ll take deviled eggs to the Salem UMC bell choir's brunch. The Fourth-Friday Lunch Bunch will meet on the third Friday, and the fourth-Saturday poetry group will meet on the third Saturday.
                In the meantime, I’ll finish decorating the “tree” which is only the top-most section of a large, pre-lit, artificial one. It sits on a cloth-covered table in front of a window. Easy peasy.              
                 Ringing hand bells in one church’s early-service presentation of Lessons and Carols, rushing back home to play in another church’s late service infused and inspired me with as true a meaning of the season as is possible, given the recent shootings in Colorado and California.
                May the God of love and peace be present within us every one this season.
Amen and amen.
 

 
 
 
 
 

6 comments:

Karen said...

Lovely, Pat. Just lovely.

pat couch laster said...

Thank you kindly, my friend. Merry Christmas.

Dorothy Johnson said...

Sounds like a great Christmas. We've decorated, made fudge and Chex Mix and have been getting together with friends for coffee, lunch and conversation. I'm feeling the joy, too.

pat couch laster said...

Ooh! Fudge and Chex Mix!! I have ingredients for fudge and other quickie, good "snacks." Good conversation is one of the great joys of Christmas, isn't it? Why don't we do it more during the year? xoxo

Elephant's Child said...

I hope your Christmas is all you could hope for (and more).
I am still in manic mode here - and envying your weather.

pat couch laster said...

Thank you, Sue Goldberg, for replying to my comment--and for subscribing or following my blog.