Saturday, September 5, 2015

Birds, birds, birds! And other wild (and tame) life

Google images

 I’ve enjoyed watching the wildlife around Couchwood lately. A rabbit has taken up abode somewhere on the south side—maybe in one of the neighbor’s yards, but it frolics in my yard, too. One afternoon, it ran hither and yon—“hither” being in what-we-used-to-call the "tennis court," and “yon,” into the lower hedge row. This is the third sighting of the animal. Better one rabbit than a hill full of black cats, like last year.
Hummingbirds have found the feeder hanging outside the dining-room window. One little thing seemed to be eating from the bottom of the feeder. It flew and lit on a beautyberry limb--the first time I’d seen one actually light--returned to the unusual place and sipped before flying, its white tail feathers fanning out.

And the robins! I wonder how many families of robins nest in the trees in the south yard. One day, I looked out and seven birds lined the rim of the birdbath. All had speckled breasts: they were juveniles. One bathed, the others perched and occasionally sipped. Another fluttered around the others, pecked at one like in a game of tag. Or “king of the hill.” They reminded me of a bunch of boys vying for position, staking out their territory. Soon, a blue jay called and flew in. None of the robins moved. Then a hummingbird flew by, and soon a wasp circled the bunch. Gradually, all dispersed.

And then there’s the neighbor’s dog. The worst thing (for me) Corey could have done was build a pen for it outside. Apparently, the mutt doesn’t like it, because last weekend while I sat outside, it yapped continually.

I hope you enjoy the cooler weather. I certainly do.

4 comments:

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

Lots of wildlife to watch here in Fayetteville too. My sister-in-law who lives yon (two blocks away), has a family of foxes that visit each night!

pat couch laster said...

My uncle in Oak Ridge told me HE had a fox visitor at nights, too. I can do without those, I think. Thanks for commenting.

Dorothy Johnson said...

Great picture. I love sitting outside and watching all God's creatures. But I don't like barking dogs. i bet he's lonesome.

pat couch laster said...

And you have a great place to sit outside, girl! Today, a hummingbird (or perhaps 3 different ones, visited the newly-refreshed feeder that hangs outside the window by the dining room table where I "work/read/eat." It was delightful. Thanks for commenting.