Thursday, September 4, 2014

I promise this is the last episode of home rehabbing

Google images
 
Regarding last week’s ending question about the dishwasher after it was reinstalled? And after Richie replaced the frayed cord with a new one and covered it with a metal box? Here’s the outcome.
I put in a load of dishes that I’d stacked in the sink during the appliance absence. The machine started as per usual. Then stopped. Oh, woe. I leaned heavily into the door. Isometrics? The lights flashed and the water intake resumed. But I couldn’t do this for the sequence of even a light load. I had writing deadlines to meet. What to do? What to do?
Ah, duct tape. And it worked. For a while. I re-taped 3 times, but the heat must have loosened the stick-um. I pushed in until it drained, then opened the door. I’d wash them by hand—or rinse them—later. But I’d be calling the plumber ASAP Monday morning.
In the meantime, I’d asked the electrician to “do some work just for me.” Before he left from the dishwasher job, he’d looked at two non-working ceiling fans.  Using my rickety wooden ladder, he investigated. “They both need replacing.” These fans were in the house before I moved here eight years ago. Grandson Billy had manipulated his so only the fan would work. Richie said he couldn’t figure out what my boy had done to kill the lights.
I’d also asked for a motion light on the outside corner of the house by the driveway. That end of the porch had not been roofed, ergo, no light. This meant Richie’s disappearing into the dark recesses of the sloping un-floored area in the attic. Surely electricians are used to such places.
Afterwards, he opined that he could do that job and showed me on the outside where he would attach it.
On Monday, I was to buy two new fans, the motion light and two bulbs. He would begin early on Tuesday. Done. Next thing was to pay the piper, er, the carpet/ floor company. At Mullin’s, I whipped out my OTHER credit card (not the one I paid for refinishing the floors with) and settled up. I told the boss about my dishwasher episode and she said, “Call me if it happens again.”
Thank goodness it hasn’t.
Do you know that electricians who work for the McCauley Services in Benton bring down $80 an hour? I wrote my sis: “Wouldn’t it be nice if church musicians were paid that much?” Especially after the $$ we spend getting our credentials? When I asked Richie how/ where he learned his trade, he waffled muffled-like, as if he just learned it somehow. I know better. He had to be an apprentice, a journeyman. Anyway, a motion light and two fans installed (after taking down the old ones) took most of the morning. So that job’s done. And paid for.
I told someone that when the floors were all “new,” I’d begin painting the paneling in the back kitchen, but I haven’t.
Maybe I can get to it this month.


No comments: