Thursday, June 12, 2014

Time flies when you’re not paying attention—and even when you are

 
                Recently, we who worked the polls were kept apprised of how much time was left in our long day: “Five hours and 26 minutes,” he’d call out. “Two hours and 14 minutes.” And so on. That was one time I was glad that time never stops.
                Searching my computer files, I found something even more indicative of how time flies: saved-for-later documents. This proves how easily we make plans, how creative our intentions.
 And then living happens.
                I found this: IDEAS from journal entries, July 2012. TWO YEARS AGO! Permit me to use them this week. And perhaps add some commentary.
1. WRITE ABOUT grandson Billy’s comments concerning people having NO manners. Like standing when a female leaves the room; not wearing a hat inside, expecting the date to pay half… “I don’t know; maybe I’m odd, but if I take a woman out, I expect to pay.” He called it “mannerisms” or “manner-something.”
This sweet-grandson-o’-mine was 22 at the time. Makes me proud. I wish he’d come around to my way of thinking about sending actual paper-and-pen-and-stamped-and-addressed thank-you notes when he’s given a gift. He thinks that if you say it to the giver’s face, that that should be enough. Sigh. This grandmother likes to receive written notes. (Oh, I know this is a different time, etc. etc.)
2. At 3 a.m. one night, when Billy opened the door to my room--letting me know he was home-- he reeked of cigar smoke. “I like the smell of a cigar,” he said. And he didn’t even know his great-granddaddy Noah, who in my memory ALWAYS had a stogie in his mouth or his fingers.
3. IN THE NEWS, May, 2012 (going backward through the journal): “Otis M., 23, who is charged in an undercover sting operation in North California that ended in gunfire, has been ordered released on a $150,000 bond on the condition that he spend an hour reading and a half-hour writing each day as he awaits trial on robbery and assault charges. SMART JUDGE! I wonder if it helped.
4. Write a piece from a dad’s viewpoint about finding the book, Mike Mulligan and the Steam Shovel, while in the attic looking for Where the Wild Things Are. “This book started me on my career,” my near-to-retirement-age son said. “I loved the big machines that moved dirt.” I gave him the book.
5. Funny image: “They (protesters) were closely watched by nearby patrol cars ….” Do cruisers have eyes? If so, where are they located?
6. Tongue twister: Beginner knitter (Heloise).
Another document—this one entered the last day of 2011—is titled COUCHWOOD UPGRADES IN 2012:
* Add 2 overhead lights on front porch—one over the porch swing, one off the south fascia to light the steps/driveway. As of mid-June 2014, NOT done.
* Repair/ replace dining room fan & back bedroom fan & light. NO
*Clean carpets. BETTER: dirty carpets ripped up and new laid down. YES
* Refinish hardwood floors. This is my next project. I’m on Travis’s list for some time during July. However, since it will mean moving and storing three rooms filled with books, glassware that’ll have to be moved from TWO cabinets, writing necessaries . . . .
I have asked the company if he would do one room at a time. If so, I’ll only have to devise a way to get into the bathroom area when he does the dining room.
Maybe I can jury-rig a stile through a window. #
~~

3 comments:

Dot said...

Good post, Pat. Sadly, you are right about thank yous. Captain Kangaroo taught our kids to say thank you but no one taught the grands. If you don't get a face to face thank you, often you don't get one at all. Thank you notes are passe. Be grateful if you get an email.
BTW The patrol car's eyes are behind the headlights. :)

Dorothy Johnson said...

Love the notes about Billy, and yes, thank you notes seem to have gone the way of many of the niceties we were taught to observe. I think you should add those porch lights soon.

pat couch laster said...

Well, of course! The eyes are behind the headlights. Duh! Re t-y notes. I didn't even garner an email from my g-daughter for her grad. gift. The birthday gift was finally emailed acknowledged after I asked her dad if she'd rec'd it. Alas and sigh.

Dorothy and Dot, thank you both for commenting. love you a lot, PL