Thursday, May 8, 2014

ON MILLENNIALS

Google image
           All of a sudden, Millennials are swarming out of the woodwork like termites. Or perhaps I’m just now seeing what’s been there all along.  Last Thursday, The Saline Courier (Benton AR) launched a ‘new page for ‘millennials,’ that demographic aged 18 to 33, or those born between 1988 and 2001. Sources vary, but that’s close enough. The Courier uses ages 16 – 30. I prefer 18-33.
                Two women reporters, aged 22 and 23, opened the feature with answers to this statement: “17 things I wish I had known when I was 17.” One of them admitted to being a ‘big girl’ now; the other, in a ‘big girl’ job.
                One admits to not yet being an adult—a pleasant surprise (to me). The other sometimes wishes she could go back to when she didn’t have to worry about bills or housework (she’s married).
                I have three grandchildren who are Millennials. They are ages 26, 24 and 21. The oldest one, identified in high school as Gifted-Talented, and who served as a volunteer firefighter, worked at a relative’s U-Haul franchise until he had the opportunity to eventually attend Police School. After a 12-week course in Camden, he’s now a patrolman with his own cruiser (and his own sidearm).
The 24-year-old has been at a state university for a spell and must complete one more year for a degree in early-childhood education. He is taking a year off to save enough money to return.
The 21-year-old graduated last week from a university in Tampa after a 3-year stint. She will immediately begin her Master’s program. Her aim is to be an accountant.
 A nephew from ‘up east’ also graduated this month from Northeastern University in Boston after 5 years. His love has been journalism and sports broadcasting.
                Two of the latest music directors at a church where I play hand bells are both in their early 30s. One is a graduate from HSU after spending several years as a flight attendant. He now has a plum position in the music department at a large Little Rock church. The other is a professor at HSU!              
Blake Smith, one year out of HSU as a music major and a first-year teacher, gave me permission to use his Facebook post of May 2, 2014. A millennial speaking to his high-school students:
“If you want to show the world that you're a young adult, then take care of your business, study what your teachers ask you to study, and come into an educational setting with more than the mentality of  ‘this class doesn't really count, so why should I bother.’ If I give enough of a crap to give information, then you should give enough of a crap to know that it's important to me that you learn it.”
Back to the young reporters at the Courier. One says, “You don’t have to know what you want to do for the rest of your life right now.” The other advises, “Find a hobby. I wish I had a hobby now beside everyday type things.”
Wikipedia has a well-researched entry on Millennials if you are interested in knowing more.

2 comments:

Dorothy Johnson said...

Timely post. I heard a piece on Millennials yesterday on NPR. Their day must have arrived. I also have three M grandchildren. Two in college and one freshly graduated. (If you include the younger cut off age, I have five!) They look at life from a different perspective, for sure. Sure do love them!

pat couch laster said...

Oh, I'd heard the term, but the Courier article floored me--and got my attention. Thanks for commenting. God bless our millennials, huh?