Thursday, January 9, 2014

By the numbers in 2013

 
 
                January is the time when it’s easy to wonder what in the world we accomplished last year? Did we carry our weight of the world by helping others? Did we matter to anyone? Are we just taking up space and marking time?  Gee, I hope not.
                There is so much emphasis on volunteering during one’s retirement years, yet I resist mightily—unless it means going to UMCOR in Baldwin, Louisiana. I’ll DO that as often as I can. But I mean weekly, monthly, like some folks do—Rice Depot, SCJCOHN (Saline County’s food/clothing/assistance, etc. organization).
                Recently I congratulated a woman on turning 90. “I hope I live till 90,” I said. “Volunteer,” she answered. I guess I’ll die before I age to 90. I figure I volunteered to raise a grandson for 23 years. But I may be bragging up the wrong tree.
                So, to convince myself of whatever worth I may be to the world, I’ll go to the calendar and my writing ledger. Hmm. Maybe part of my value is singing in two church choirs and playing in two bell choirs.
Maybe it is sharing my poetry and prose with folks via email and Facebook. In January last year, I logged in 48 pieces of writing. I helped the economy by buying $200 worth of writing supplies and registering for a retreat in northeast Arkansas. And I read seven books or journals.
By the end of February, I had critiqued 28 pieces of writing for the two writers’ groups I belong to, sold three books, written 90 pieces and traveled 175 miles in writing-related activities.
A former neighbor, Mrs. Marshall, who said she never read a book because she couldn’t see what she’d accomplished afterwards, would call me a lay-about and a sluggard if she knew how much time I spent/spend reading. BUT, she had a point, I guess. She wanted to SHOW what she’d done.
Hmmm. How DOES reading help one who wants to share in the improvement of the world? I went straight to Google and typed in “How does reading help one feel like he’s helping make the world a better place?”
www.lifdev.net gives eight benefits, which might be considered going around the mountain to get to the original thesis, but… here goes:
    1. Enhanced smarts. Keeps us sharp as we age, hence, no drain on the taxpayers for medical care. (LOL)
                2. Reduced stress. So we don’t react snappishly or meanly to those we meet.
                3. Greater tranquility. Keeps me from cussing the computer, the cats, those who litter MY FRONT Yard…
                4. Improved analytical thinking. (I had to type in a different question to Google.) Three of nine entries from www.criticalthinking.org on how to use critical thinking were to “reshape one’s character, deal with your ego and redefine the ways you see things”. And I add… In the world around you.
                5. Increased vocabulary –easier to work the crossword puzzle! And helps us be better listeners.
                6. Improved memory! If your memory needs “mojo,” try reading more.               
                7. Improved writing skills—for those emails and blogs and letters to grandchildren and newspaper editors…
                8. Helps prioritize goals.  ….. Maybe I’ll begin to see the advantages of volunteering.
                As usual, reader, I got sidetracked from my original “goal,” so maybe I’ll have to finish next week. Have a good one!

2 comments:

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

This is wonderful. Volunteering takes me away from writing so I sometimes must force myself. Afterwards, however, I come away with more inspiration. You accomplished a lot in 2013!

pat couch laster said...

Well, thanks. I ended up with more than 400 pieces of writing, but as I said, I got off track a bit. Where do you force yourself to volunteer? xoxo