Thursday, November 21, 2013

Thanksgiving, part I: from my novel

 
 
                                                                                                                   November 23, 1933
Dear Mother, Yvonne, Juliana and Mr. Ferrel,
                Thank goodness, Thanksgiving with the Courseys is over! And before I fall asleep and forget even one detail, I must tell you about it. You know from my last letter than the newest member of the Coursey family always hosts the next Thanksgiving meal.
                ‘Tradition,’ Frona Lee informed me in a visit shortly after the chivaree. ‘I did it. Alice and Caroline both did, though it won’t bear repeating how pathetic their meals were.’
                ‘But that doesn’t give me much time!’ I said.
                ‘Didn’t Editor Redd give you the rest of November off—as a wedding present? Use it wisely. You’ll manage somehow. Goodbye.’
                She didn’t mention anything else about the tradition, and I was too stunned by her lack of friendliness to ask. Do you suppose she was still smarting over not getting any say in our wedding?
                Heth had paid no attention, he told me, to earlier Thanksgiving preparations. Only that he appeared when and where he was told.
                ‘You don’t remember what you ate?’ I asked.
                ‘Dressing,’ he said, ‘and sometimes a hen from our backyard. But not always. Guess my brothers killed wild turkeys or bought them in Madison. Don’t expect me to cook whatever you get. I’ve never done that and I don’t intend to start now. You’ll have to ask the girls,’ he said, ‘or your mom.’
                Again, I didn’t ask why he never cooked, but I could imagine he was out with friends, or looking for work or on a drummer’s route. He was spoiled rotten. So I called Papa Quinn with my questions.
                ‘I hate for you to be saddled with hosting Thanksgiving so soon, but you might as well get it over with. The three other girls did all right, but they had Sula Mae for instructions. All I heard from her afterwards was how pitiful their knowledge of cookery and presentation was. But I imagine they have all learned enough by now.’
                Then he changed his tone. ‘How about I kill a couple of the biggest hens in the flock. I’ll pluck and cut them, and bring them for you to cook. One big dish of chicken and dressing will fill the bill. I’ll bring Sula Mae’s recipe, too. Do you have a large enough pan? Can you make giblet gravy?’
                ‘Yes,’ I said, and ‘yes.’ When I asked him about the other food, he couldn’t remember who brought what. ‘But even the men provide something. Ask them what they want to bring. Or make suggestions.’
                So I had to call the others. I’d almost rather have done everything myself, but I knew that wouldn’t do. Frona Lee harrumphed when I told her about the hens.
                ‘He didn’t offer to do that for me! My specialty is jam cake. Lloyd usually does something with his green tomatoes—a relish or a mush.’
                On to the next. ‘Alice, what do you usually bring to Thanksgiving?’
                ‘Oh, lord, honey, it’s your time to host, isn’t it? Some dish using sweet potatoes. We grow tons of ‘em. Ozell delights in bringing his mock pumpkin pie.’
                I asked Caroline last. ‘I can’t cook for a big crowd, sweetie, but I can make applesauce since our orchard produced so well. Mac makes a great corn light bread. He’ll bring enough for everyone. And butter. You poor dear, having to do this so soon after marrying. I’ll help you clean up.’
TO BE CONTINUED. Permission for this copy granted by the author—that would be me.

4 comments:

Dorothy Johnson said...

Poor Liddy!

pat couch laster said...

In the sequel, she is still being beset by "stuff." Guess that's what novels are made of/for, huh? loveP

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

I felt just like Liddy the first time I cooked Thanksgiving:))

pat couch laster said...

I don't remember ever cooking a turkey, tho' I might have--really early. But Mom did.