Thursday, July 18, 2013

One value of campmeetings: renewal

 
                   Summer is the season for outdoor revivals. This year, Salem Campmeeting-- near where I live --began in late June. Ben Few and Davidson-- farther south-- have either just finished or are in progress. Salem’s pastor is the evangelist at both of those meetings. Travis Langley, from farther south, preached the Salem revival.

                  Having grown up attending campmeetings, and having been away from the Salem UMC choir for nearly a year, I asked the director if I could sing with them on opening night. Of course, he said yes and even made me a folder with all the music in order. Nice man, Curt.

                 Walking out of the new concrete-instead-of-sawdust-floored arbor afterwards, I was stopped by an older woman. “Are you Pat Laster?” I admitted it. She was the mother of our state representative, and asked me if I knew a Carlene who used to live in Blytheville. I said, yes. Carlene had told her that when this woman moved to Benton to be sure and look me up. Not one of us three can remember how long ago that was.
Afterwards, we exchanged names, telephone numbers and addresses. She lives farther north on the same road I do. Renewal # 1.
Earlier during the service, I’d spotted a man friend who drives from across the river to attend services. During refreshments, we locked eyes and headed toward each other. A hug and “you’re looking good”greetings ensued. We would see each other again during the week. Renewal #2
That was Sunday. The next time I attended was Tuesday. After service, while visiting with a colleague, James, a brightly dressed and coiffed woman came to the row ahead of us. She waited till a break in our conversation, then asked me if I was a music teacher. Again, I admitted it.
It turns out that she was in the 6th grade when I taught music in all four elementary schools in Benton. Now, folks, that would have been between 1958-1961!
If that wasn’t “renewal” enough, it turns out that sometime between 1986-87, I dated her widowed father! He was an avid dancer and we always went to the VFW.
I invited her to the fellowship hall where homemade hot rolls were “refreshments.” She declined, saying she had enough rolls around her own body. Renewal # 3.
James, a 6th grade student of mine more recently, enjoyed the dialogue between us. He’s already in his 30s.

On Friday night after service, a beautiful, delicate woman stopped me. She looked familiar. When she told me her name, we embraced—hugged sounds too harsh, though that’s what it was. I taught school with her late mother, and then met her again in divorce court. She was the judge’s secretary. We seemed to hit if off way back then, and I was thrilled to see her again. We connected further on Facebook. Renewal # 4.
Other renewals were the joy of singing the old songs from the Spiritual Life songbook. Plus, using a newer hymn written by a former pastor at Salem, who, coincidentally, married my parents in 1934. The first line is, “Once more, we’ve come to this old Salem Campground/ Where Christ is lifted up to save the lost.”
Another renewal I needed: to be reminded to live as Christ-like as possible as the person I am now—this very day.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Enjoyed your write-up on camp meeting, and your "meeting up" with old acquaintances.

Dorothy Johnson said...

Thank for sharing all your camp meeting renewals. Well-written! Enjoyed it so much.

pat couch laster said...

Thank you girls for your comments. xoxo