Friday, December 28, 2012

Goodbye to 2012; hello to 2013

               An early poem of mine is appropriate today: Titled “Farewell,” it is a double-form piece, an acrostic and a Farewell pattern.
                        Galloping swiftly, as on fire; 
                        Over minutes, hours and days,
                        Obeying nature’s agenda,
                        Dashing through time down the
                        Backstretch of December,
                        You daze us with speed – an
                        Entire year gone.”
            Winter has arrived, calendar-wise, and though we usually consider all of December “winter,” we lived through some nice warm days earlier this month and snow at the end. My tubular wind chime pealed a lot.
            Finally, in time for gift-giving and for Christmas, I got to those molasses balls’ ingredients that had sat on the countertop for several days.
After two hours, 77 of them cooled on wax paper and rested in air-tight containers until they were needed. (There would have been 80 but I had to taste one. It was nearly supper time and I was hungry. I ate one more. And it was nearly Christmas, so I ate just one more.)
            Here is Steve Long’s recipe for Molasses Balls that appeared in an Arkansas Democrat-Gazette’s recent Wednesday's Food section. He noted that these store well. If they last that long. I recommend them.
            In a large bowl, sift together 4 cups all-purpose flour, 4 teaspoons baking soda, 1 teaspoon salt.
            In a separate large mixing bowl, cream together 1-and-1/2 cups shortening, 2 cups granulated sugar (you’ll need more sugar for rolling). Mix in 2 eggs.
            Stir into that mixture 2 tablespoons PLUS 2 teaspoons molasses, 2 teaspoons ground ginger, 1 heaping teaspoon ground cloves, 1 heaping tablespoon ground cinnamon and 1 heaping teaspoon allspice.
            Add flour mixture to make a stiff dough. (I used a portable mixer which ran hot before I finished. A wooden spoon might have worked just as well.)
            Roll dough into 1-inch balls, then roll each in a bowl of sugar. Place balls on ungreased cookie sheet and slightly flatten each one with a spoon or the bottom of a glass. (I used a glass with a deep “tread” on the bottom. The pattern was star-shaped, but after cooking, it was not visible.)
            Bake at 350 degrees for 12-15 minutes (I used 13) until light brown. Cool and store in an airtight container.
            Makes about 10 dozen cookies. (I rolled mine out to the size of a large marble and made only about 7 dozen. They are nearly twice the size of a ginger snap.)
            Since Christmas is over, you might bake a batch for New Year’s. Or Valentine’s.
The Paulus-Laster gathering at Couchwood on the Sunday before Christmas was fabulous. As usual. Even with the unusual (Norfolk Pine) tree.
Ready or not, here comes two-thousand-thirteen. May it bring you and yours much joy. # 

4 comments:

Grace Grits and Gardening said...

Happy New Year to you Pat! 2012 was special. I met you:))

pat couch laster said...

Thank you very much. The same goes for me--about you. May we see more of each other in 2013.

Dorothy Johnson said...

Happy New Year and thanks for the cookie recipe. I've been thinking that I'm glad to see the end of 2012. Lots of changes for me which meant getting used to new places and new people, etc. It takes more energy.

pat couch laster said...

2012 was a good year for me, writing-wise. Gonna do a column/blog post titled "By the numbers." Just to see what all I've REALLY done that I think is worth telling about. It may look like bragging, but it is more like sharing. Yes, more energy for about everything. Love...........